Saturday, June 16, 2012

32.5 hours

La Feria, TX  92 degrees - Muggy
     32.5 hours ago we pulled out of our driveway in Clarinda.  1142 miles later we pulled into our driveway here in Kenwood RV.

Yesterday (Friday) morning we saw Dr. Sarpong for the last time.  I was getting a 2 month A1C and general checkup.  He has treated all things and my Type 2 diabetes for about the last 11 years, but Friday was his last day at Clarinda as he is moving to Indiana and will be both working as an internist and teaching interns.  Wish him luck, but will miss him.  He is so knowledgeable and always explained
 everything about what he was doing and what I needed to be doing. Of course, I am still working on loosing the weight I need to, but he has helped be work on it.


Anyway, as soon as we were done there (and I got a good report -- just need to loose some more weight) we pulled out of our driveway, which is just across the street from the hospital, about 10:30 am and pulled in to our house here just about 6:30 pm tonight.  Of course, we stopped in Denton, TX last night about 9:30 pm and got a night's sleep at a motel.  Left there about 8:15 this morning, rested up.  I suppose 45 years ago I could have driven all of this trip by myself in a straight 23 or 24 hours, but not at my age now.  And, I must say that even though I have made a practice of never driving over 60 mph and generally sticking to 55 mph since we retired, this trip I am guilty of driving 65 and 70 mph.  Know it hurt the gas mileage and I feel more comfortable slower; but, we drove all interstate and I kept pretty well up with the traffic.  And, since we were driving "bobtail" for the first time in about 4 years (we always had the travel trailer with the truck and even last year pulled a small cargo trailer with the mini-van) it was a nice drive and we averaged something around 26-27, which isn't too bad.

     We ran into 100 degree temperatures just south of San Antonio and about 50 miles or an hour later was at 79 degrees with some sprinkles of rain.  Was back to 93 degrees when we reached here.
The gasoline prices are a bit interesting.  I avoided buying some gas at Clarinda for $3.26 since I thought would only hold 3 or 4 gallon and ended up filling up on the Tollway in Kansas for $3.49.  Only took 16.1 gallon and the tank holds 16.5 gallon so could have driven another few miles.

Later we filled twice at $3.19 though we had driven by $3.47 and $3.49 in between them.  Last time we filled at the $3.19 less than a mile away was a station on one side with $3.10 and across the highway $3.23.   Just as we got near Mission, TX saw station with $3.04 and filled up.  Of course just as we got in town saw one station with $2.999 though other stations were at $3.19.  Prices all over the place.  And the 10 or 20 cents difference in same town.

Monday we take my maxilla to an agent near the Rio Grande Valley and have an Endosteal cylinder removed so it can be replaced next December.  One worked perfectly and is loose.

Thought we would visit a few friends who stay most of the year here, but see they have gone.  Will do some looking around and probably head back north Monday noon if things work well.

Till next time, Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment