Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May Day plus 1

Clarinda, IA 77º (63º overnight and 81º predicted tomorrow)  Quarter-inch of rain overnight and chance of thunder storm tonight.
      Just got back from a 4 mile jaunt on the recumbent trike.  Getting nearly dark and mostly rode around the abundant cement on the hospital grounds.  Had returned from choir practice where one of my fellow Tenors brought fresh rhubarb cobbler and ice cream for his July birthday (we don't sing during the summer and he said he hadn't brought birthday refreshments for his birthday since he had joined the choir in 1972) and a fellow Alto singer of Phyllis' birthday is today and she brought a carrot cake; those with coffee turned out to be our supper.
Photo at left shows Phyllis helping, or supervising, Jerry serving the ice cream to go with the rhubarb cobbler.

We had driven to Shenandoah this morning so I could have the inside of my head examined and photographed.  Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) is a new type of imaging technology.  OCT is used for taking cross-sectional pictures of the retina. The retina is located at the back of your eye.  It is used to diagnose and follow treatment in certain eye conditions and diseases, such as age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and other diseases affecting the macula. (You probably are guessing I copied those last few lines from a web site. healthspot.com/ )

     Before going to the eye doctor's offices we stopped at a jewelery there in Shenandoah  to have some jewelry cleaned and set.  She ended up buying a magnetic clasp for necklace and I ended up buying a watch.  http://www.mallardwatch.com/   Have bought a few watches in Mexico the last few years and they don't last too long.  (Getting to where you can't expect much for eight dollars, heh?)  This cost more, but is reputed to be waterproof to 500 feet -- am pretty sure I won't test that out, but if forget when going into the shower or hot tub should be safe -- and scratch-proof face.  Under full warranty for 3 years; I only had tail-light warranty on the ones from Old Mexico (tail-light warranty is good only while seller can see your tail-light as you drive away).

We ate lunch at El Portal Mexican Restaurant with our friend Patty Steckelberg before heading back to Clarinda.  Phyllis went up to the Methodist Church to work (and/or visit) with the ladies on quilts, etc.  I continued to try to get a bunch of VHS tapes over to DVD's that I have had for my daughter for the last couple years.  Phyllis thinks it is about time I actually do it since I had promised her those many years ago.  

 Isn't this a lovely picture of Phyllis cutting my hair Friday?  She is actually trimming an eyebrow and it appears I may be suffering at the time, or maybe I was concentrating on taking the picture with outstretched hand.   





Friday I had gotten up on the shop building and trimmed tree limbs because they were dragging on the roof when the wind blew.  I cleaned out the east gutter which is under less trees.  The west gutter I have already covered with screen and should get the eastern one done some day.































Friday I also got installed on the outside of the shop building a 30 amp RV plug in.  The times we have set our travel trailer in the driveway or by the shop I always used a 30 amp/20 amp converter and run the cord under the over-head door.  Now we can run the roof air conditioner if needed and use the trailer as an extra bedroom when needed.  Of course, would have to go 5 miles out of town and get the trailer out of the covered storage it is in.  Our friends Bill & Twila Oberholzer will be here next Wednesday with their 5th-wheel on the way from La Feria, TX to Boone, IA and we will be able to have them park on our driveway and be able to run one air conditioner if needed.  Guess I needed a push to finally get it installed.  In this photo I was testing the surge protector we use on our trailer to see if it worked before putting the water-proof plate on the plug in box.

     Getting anxious to head to Marengo, IA Friday to see son Cam and family.  Understand they had real hard rain and winds about 3 am this morning.


Till later, Lynn









2 comments: